10 January 2010

Lullabies: from kid to adult

Ever since I was a kid, I've had a serious nightmare problem. I still do, but it mostly stems from vivid-and-lucid-dreaming-producing medication I take, as opposed to genuine all-encompassing fear, which was the cause when I was little.
Anyone who knows me knows that I tend to have more problems now staying awake than falling asleep. But that doesn't mean that when it comes down to bedtime, especially if I'm stressed or excited or nervous, I don't have problems sleeping. So I've been turning to the magic that helped me sleep as a child: lullabies.
There was one lullaby tape I had when I was little. Eventually it turned into a CD, then into computer-played mp3s, then to an iPod playlist, and has currently settled as an iPhone playlist.
This is the tracklist:
1. Roger Wagner Choral - Wiegenlied (Lullaby) Op. 49, No. 4
2. Academy Of St. Martin In The Fields - Pachelbel Canon in D
3. Tzimon Barto - Nocturne in E-flat, Op. 9, No.2
4. Academy Of St. Martin In The Fields - Dance of the Sylphs
5. Christopher Parkening - Sheep May Safely Graze
6. Aldo Ciccolini - The Girl with the Flaxen Hair
7. Debussy - Claire de lune
8. Bach - Air
9. Nancy Allen - Reverie
10. Christopher Parkening - La Filla mal marxant / El Noi de la mare
11. Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra - Dance of the Blessed Spirits
12. Alexis Weissenberg - Kleine Studie (Little Study)
13. Tzimon Barto - Cantabile (Andantino)
14. Satie - Gymnopedies 3 & 1
The structure of this album is really important for me. Listening to it out of order makes it almost irrelevant. And it's almost exactly an hour long, so it doesn't usually stop before I've fallen asleep.
That album has really stuck with me. It's hard for me to listen to Claire de lune without getting really really sleepy. But recently I've been listening to another lullaby playlist that's actually been more effective. I think it's because the music is actually more lulling, plus it's more catered to grown-up me, as it so far is exclusive to Animal Collective and Panda Bear:
- Animal Collective - Did You See the Words?
- Animal Collective - Flesh Canoe
- Animal Collective - Bees
- Animal Collective - Banshee Beat
- Animal Collective - Daffy Duck
- Animal Collective - Loch Raven
- Animal Collective - Seal Eyeing
- Animal Collective - Visiting Friends
- Animal Collective - The Softest Voice
- Animal Collective - No More Runnin
- Animal Collective - I Remember Learning How to Dive
- Animal Collective - Baleen Sample
- Animal Collective - It's You
- Panda Bear - Search for Delicious
- Panda Bear - Ponytail
- Panda Bear - Untitled 3
- Panda Bear - Untitled 7
- Panda Bear - Mich Mit Einer Mond
- Panda Bear - O Please Bring Her Back
- Panda Bear - Winter In St. Moritz
- Panda Bear - Liebe Auf Den Ersten Blick
- Panda Bear - A Musician and a Filmmaker
Shuffle is important here. Plus the playlist is over 90 minutes long. This playlist nearly single-handedly kept me from crying on my recent plane rides from Champaign to Detroit, Detroit to Atlanta, Atlanta to Savannah because I was so sick and in ear pain. I couldn't sleep without this playlist. It is beautiful, really.
I don't really know of anyone who denies the power music has over people and their thoughts and emotions. Amazing.

2 comments:

SandyH said...

I still remember the order of the Lullaby album, too! I'm glad you've found a second one that works for you now.

airbnb clone said...

Thanks for the sharing. It was very interesting and meaningful.
Fiverr clone script| Yelp Clone Script| Angry birds clone|